Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Removing the alternator in a gm vehicle

Unlike converted GM internally regulated versions, this compact onboard ... replaced without removing the alternator from the vehicle or even taking the unit apart!

So, i've got everything torn apart and ordered the new clutch bearing. Once I got the old bearing out I measured and found it to be smaller than the auto parts store ordered for me..... I looked everywhere I know of and everyone has the same size listed.
Where can I buy a 35 x 50 x 20 bearing? My trailblazer is in pieces!

I also noticed some play in the water pump, up and down. Is this a sign of going bad? The bearing didn't make any noise and felt smooth when turned by hand... Should I replace it?

Thanks

I can't help ya with the bearing, but play in the pump shaft is a not good.
Probably should change it while your waiting for the bearing.

BTW, you might have a store the usually sell to rebuild shops and they might find a bearing using the # on your old one. Look in yellow pages under bearings

There has to be a bearing house or two within the Chicago area. Try some search engine like www.dexonline.com. Also can you read any numbers on the old bearing. Often helpful with finding a replacement.

Thanks RayVoy. I looked everywhere for the bearing with no luck. Even had 2 places cross reference the numbers on the original bearing with no results. I eneded up cleaning out the old grease and repacking with new, sealed it up and reinstalled. Sounds much better than before but it still has a little whine to it. We'll see how long it lasts.....Just trying to save 500.00 for the new compressor + labor (which I don't need). This really pisses me off!

I did replace the water pump, thermostat, idler pulley, tensioner pulley and belt since it was apart.... With 88,000 on them, I guess it's better to replace before it's too late.

Hey Zubius, I had the same problem last summer (just before a 2k trip). I would normally fix that myself, but because of time constraints, I opted for the replacement compressor (around $900 can installed). Was it a lot of work? The manual suggests the compressor should come out the top of the engine (removing the alternator and other things). I looked at taking it out from the bottom and fixing it under the car (not disconnect the plumbing). What was your method?

Here's my method........
Once I got the clutch and snap ring off I had to use a puller to get the pulley off. Then beat the bearing out, with gentle whacks of course Total time was about 6 hours, including the water pump and thermostat replacement. If I find a new bearing I'll be doing this again soon

No comments:

Post a Comment